Sketches Galore

Hey there! I've been inactive for quite a long time, but I'm back now. :)
This post contains sketches I've been making all this while, mostly pen. Those of you who have been following my blog probably know my preference for using pens over pencils for sketching.


Something I love drawing: my hands and feet. I used to draw hands a lot but recently I realized that it had been a long time since I last did that.

not bad, eh?


I'm definitely NOT a natural. :p
my sketchbooks are filled with lots of
failed sketches like this one, lol.


when you're bored during a workshop...


I don't often get the opportunity to draw people; largely because no one sits still long enough to be sketched. However, sometimes I do doodle people during programs etc. when no one is looking. ;D 
I drew these random people while waiting at an airport lounge with nothing else to do. I guess it isn't very ethical to stare at people while you're drawing them (or even to draw them, for that matter) but I had nothing to do right then so it was justified. ;)



another something I drew at that airport lounge...

This sketch is pretty old, something I made last year. Looking at this makes me realize I really haven't improved much since then, lol.


 While most of my pen sketches are based on real objects, this one isn't; at least not completely. I drew the branch silhouette while looking at one but I didn't have the time to complete it right then, so I added the leaves and flowers afterwards (btw the branch I was supposed to be drawing had brown crumpled leaves and no flowers but I totally changed it. ;p)


The only pencil sketch among all these sketches. I drew this minar overlooking the window of our hotel room in Istanbul on a trip to Turkey. This is the only sketch I happened to make there. I don't know what made me draw this with pencil, but it wasn't a good decision, apparently. I still wonder why I always get the proportions wrong while sketching with pencils while my pen sketches don't always turn out so bad...



The most recent sketch of them all..this was
supposed to be a wall hanging, sketched with
grey fineliner and painted with watercolour
paint and pencils

Have you ever given pen sketching a go? I'd love to hear about your adventures! Also, which one among these did you like the most? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Zainab, these are amazing! The hand/feet sketches are so detailed and on point. The second one in particular is interesting because you can almost see the fingers curving towards a perspective point, which is pretty tough to achieve when drawing hands. :) The people studies are super good, I love your style! I think it's a common thing for artists to draw strangers in public (it's a great way to improve), though of course making a big show of doing it is perhaps disrespectful as you implied... (sketching people discreetly should be fine, unless with permission of course ^^). I love the way you drew those knarled branches of the cherry tree - those types of branches are super difficult to sketch! The pop of colour adds an interesting touch as well despite the fact you added that after. The minaret is so beautifully detailed in your pencil sketch. :D I think the proportions are actually okay, the issue might actually be the progression of the drawing - perhaps you do your pen sketches more quickly than with pencil? The minaret is still beautiful, though slightly slanted, but it's something that happens in my drawings of towers/buildings as well. ^^; I would advise sketching the whole thing rough at first to nail the structure and then when you're satisfied, nail the details afterwards. (You might have a better way of going about it though!) These are all equally brilliant; frankly I don't have a favourite! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment, Kenza! :D You are right there - doing a rough sketch of the structure before going on to the details is a really helpful rule of thumb, and it is especially useful when it comes to drawing human anatomy. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment