Sketching the Ordinary - More pen sketches

I have seen artists who sketch or draw special, unusual stuff only, but then maybe sketching is something very special for them. For me though, sketching is something very habitual and everyday; kind of like an exercise I try to do regularly, just to keep myself in shape. Thus the subjects of my drawings are also everyday objects - you are unlikely to find in my sketchbook a sketch of a pretty vase of roses but you are very likely to find a drawing of a pile of books or a cluttered table. I also tend to sketch with pens rather than pencils because then I can't erase or keep on trying to make my lines straight; I simply draw, without criticizing my own work. While I'm drawing with pens, I am not expecting perfect end-results; instead, I am simply enjoying the journey, and am more at peace with myself.

So here are some more pen-sketches. Although I have mainly used black fineliner pens instead of coloured ones, I have used coloured highlighter markers (one of my all-time favorite drawing tools!) in some of these. Click on each drawing to see it in fullscreen mode.


badminton rackets and a shuttlecock
A table piled with 'stuff': a lamp, a laptop, a couple of books, pens,
and a calculator. I drew this with black fineliner and coloured it
in with highlighter markers
A bookshelf piled with books (there are so many in our house;
every room has at least one bookshelf except for the kitchen!)


Another random sketch I made with fineliner and
coloured with highlighter markers (blue+pink in
this case)

Table with a traditional Sindhi patchwork cover - I drew the outline
of the table and the cover with black fineliner, filled the table in with
soft pastels and did the cover with coloured fineliners. Although my
sketchy rendering does not depict well the exquisite, beautiful design
of the table-cover, I thoroughly enjoyed drawing this :D

This is all I have for now, although I promise I'll be back soon, (Insha Allah) with more stuff (more flyers, that is :P) Do let me know how you like these in the comments! :)

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. And I really love the new gadget, the globe one!

      Delete
  2. I love your new background, but maybe you could make the bottom green a little less bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this post is super awesome, I really like how you think beyond the box when you sketch by drawing creatively different subjects! It's interesting that you also generally sketch every day - that's something I wish I would do but I just never seem to get round to it. I personally agree that it's better to sketch in pen because it allows for more natural and imaginative sketching rather than using pencil and constantly re-doing lines.

    You've nailed it with the bold lines and shapes in the first one! I'm really impressed by how you manage this fine detail with fineliners as I find them really difficult to handle! (I usually use soft nibs.) Are they stacked stools?
    The concept of the badminton rackets and the shuttlecock gives me sports vibes! I love those sketchy lines and the way you've made thicker areas in some places and thinner lines in others. I can imagine it must have taken a while to draw those hatched lines for the netting... they're also well spaced-apart!
    The next one with its pop of colour and varying patterns is so striking! Using highlighter markers is such a unique idea and adds a really nice neon/glowing touch. I never really thought of sketching items on a desk before so this is a really inspiring idea to me! :D Speaking of which, how do you go about picking your subjects? When I sketch from real-life I often find it really hard to choose something that won't be too complicated but will also turn out nice. (Then I guess I'm also a bit lazy and prefer to draw something super simple like a flower that isn't too detailed! xD) The floral details you've drawn on the lamp are so pretty! <3
    Ahh the bookshelf theme is fascinating and beautifully detailed! I can almost feel that sensation of being able to pull out a book and feel its cover haha. The way you've highlighted the difference between each book with varying colour makes for an excellent blend of differentiation. Did you roughly measure out the spacing between the books before you started or did you decide to sketch as you go along kind of thing? I usually spend a lot of time wondering where to start so I'd love to hear your tips!
    The sketch afterwards is super cool!! I love this one because pink and blue is one of my favourite colour-combinations. It's evident how you've rightly chosen to not dwell into too much detail (like bold lines, text, etc. that would otherwise be a bit over the top in this case) for objects that are slightly further away. The change in viewing angle in this one is also very professional! Classic question, I know, but how long did this one take? :)
    The last one is exquisite! Your choice of detailing with both coloured fineliners and soft pastels in this one is intriguing! The beautiful sections of varying patterns in the patchwork cover gives a very traditional and intricate touch. It must have taken a lot of dedication and time to switch between pens! I wish I could blend textures so realistically with pastels like you do. (My pastel works always end up so smudgy and rough! xD)

    This post was so motivating and I really enjoyed taking a look at your sketches! I'm looking forward to you posting more art (and flyers)! Do you have anymore advice for how to improve in sketching? ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kenza! Your comments really make my day! :D
      The first drawing is a stack of two small-height chairs. I just pick my subjects based on what attracts me..they can be literally ANYTHING lying about in the house that catches my attention and seems interesting. And I also tend to pick simpler subjects..I even find flowers too difficult to draw (talking of which, I love your flower sketches!)
      I didn't measure anything in any of these sketches, including the bookshelf one..I guess most of the times I'm too lazy to go find a ruler, and even if I would, it'd take out the spontaneity from these sketches.
      The other sketch took around half an hour. It was the only one that took a bit long, all the others took less than half an hour.. :) I know it seems like very little time but it was actually very simple to make.
      Thanks for your lovely, long comments! I really appreciate how you take out the time to comment on all of my posts despite being so busy with your studies and everything! :)

      Delete
  4. I am shocked how you draw them???
    I think that is pretty HARD for me.
    Well nice art I like the top 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure you can draw as well if you try your hand at it - this isn't as difficult as it may seem! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment