Mending spoiled canvases

I began painting this canvas back in August but it wasn't until late September that I finished it. Actually, I spoiled it(I didn't mean to, of course). Let me tell you how I mended it.

What I used: Purified linseed oil, Oil paints, cotton buds,
and paint brushes

First I painted a beige background(I don't know why it doesn't
look beige in the picture), then I made this deep maroon dot
in the center of the canvas, and surrounded it by  these
maroon dots(I made the dots with the cotton
buds)
Then I surrounded the maroon dots with a circle of red dots.

I skipped a layer right here: now for the orange dots





The circle expands,more and more...






AND THEN............
A
DISASTER
happened!!!

The canvas got spoiled somehow...
...actually one of the dots smeared, and I was just correcting it when the paint smeared more and more and in the end it looked so unbearable...I had no idea what to do!!!!
apologies for not having a picture...
I took one but could not find it D:
(I EVEN searched the RECYCLE BIN!)

I finally decided that I HAD to do something about it. So I found
a rough half A4 size paper(actually an old solved past paper XD)
I painted over it with linseed oil using a paintbrush. I then took this
HUGE risk: I put the paper on top of the canvas and smeared
it. I  then added some paint to form a gradient.  The results
you can see in the above picture.

Of course, I had to do all that with my
hands! Here's what my hands looked
like after I had finished with
perfecting the gradient

Fast forward: The canvas, drying out on the washing line.

My canvas, all done(it looks sort of greasy because I took this
picture when the canvas was wet, so) It doesn't look bad,
I suppose. I am glad.

I hope you guys enjoyed all this dramatizing! XD I enjoyed a lot while painting the canvas :D
Keep tuned on, and I'll be back soon Insha Allah for some tips for oil painting! :)

Comments

  1. Zainab!!! This is absolutely amazing! You started off with dots and then ended up with a complex sunset beach painting and it looks stunning! What a brilliant idea to re-use the canvas! :D

    Oh my, the gradient looks so artistic on its own! How long did it take to paint it? It looks like it must've taken a lot of effort seeing as you got your hand covered in paint! xD But goodness gosh... the final result is really just so majestically wonderful!! o.o The colours blend in so nicely and perfectly depict the sun sinking on the water! The silhouettes of the palm tree are a gorgeous addition! But omg, that white streak cutting through the water is just... so perfectly accurate. O.O The water looks so realistically calm in your painting, the way you neatly blended the orange!

    I'd pay you for this canvas, honest. I want to take it home with meee! 8D

    Beautiful work!! You're a wonderfully talented artist, Zainab! Keep painting! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenza! Your comments are...totally amazing, you know. :D They really make my day!
      And do you SERIOUSLY mean to say that you'd like to buy this canvas??!! Well, if you really like it that much,I'd gift it to you(if you could email me your postal address I'll post this one to you).
      Thanks once again! XD

      Delete
  2. This is stunning! I'm feeling so inspired by this turning around from a mistake to a wonderful piece of art. It can be so aggravating to make a mistake in artwork so it's great that you made the best of it. I love the idea of both the original and final artwork,infact I've wanted to try a dotting piece of art for a while now-it looks like fun! But the final artwork is amazing! I love the gradient. :D

    megansmegablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it is extremely frustrating when something goes wrong!

      Delete

Post a Comment